PCLinuxOS Based Distros
Just thought I would try and bring everyone a list of currently active PCLinuxOS based distros. If I have missed any, I apologize. If anyone knows of any others that are being actively developed please drop me a note at the Magazine website or at Papawoob@pclosmag.com.
- AmaroK Live
- amaroK Live is a stripped-down live CD of the GNU/Linux operating system, based on PCLinuxOS, with a fully functional amaroK music player. It is meant to display the features and power of amaroK. The goals of this project are: create something cool to promote amaroK, offer an easy way to introduce people to amaroK, provide a way to demonstrate the new features of amaroK when a suitable Linux installation is not available, and make it easy to remaster the live CD.
- ArcheOS is an acronym for Archaeological Operating System. It is a GNU/Linux live DVD distribution, based on PCLinuxOS, with specialist software for archaeological purposes.
- Granular Linux
- Granular Linux is an easy-to-use, desktop Linux distribution based on PCLinuxOS. Its main features are a carefully selected set of applications for common tasks, the ability to customize the distribution, and the inclusion of two popular desktop environments - the flexible KDE and the lightweight Xfce.
- Karoshi is a free and open source school server operating system based on PCLinuxOS. Karoshi provides a simple graphical interface that allows for quick installation, setup and maintenance of a network.
- Ruby on Rails
- Rails Live CD is a specialist distribution providing a pre-configured and fully operating Ruby on Rails development environment on a bootable CD. The distribution is derived from PCLinuxOS.
- SAM Linux Desktop
- SAM Linux Desktop, a live and installation CD based on PCLinuxOS, is an easy-to-use, fast and clean XFce Linux desktop for home users. The distribution is enhanced by several popular non-free applications, such as Macromedia Flash plugin, Java and RealPlayer.
- VideoLinux is a PCLinuxOS-based distribution with focus on DVD backups, video encoding and transcoding, DVD authoring, format conversion and pretty much anything else you want to do with video.
- TinyMe is a scaled down version of PCLinuxOS 2007. The latest version is delivered as a 177 MB liveCD and features the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, Synaptic, and the PCLinuxOS Control Center. It comes with a few applications, so it could be a really light version of PCLOS for older computers or a foundation on which to build your own system as you choose.
- PCFluxboxOS is a series of remasters of PCLinuxOS catering for different end-user needs. All the following remasters are installable live-CDs and all come with the i586 'Legacy' Kernel 126.96.36.199 for increased compatibility with older hardware. Newer kernels can be installed via Synaptic.
- TinyFlux - Version 0.5b out now for testing (released 15 August 2007)
- A minimal desktop experience within a tiny ISO of 225MB.
Main applications: Opera (inc Flash 9); Sylpheed (e-mail); Thunar (file manager); Audacious (XMMS/WinAmp clone); mtPaint (image manipulation); Grafburn for CD/DVD burning; Synaptic (package manager); PCLOS Control Centre; guided installer.
- MidiFlux - release expected September 2007
- A large selection of applications in a relatively small ISO expected to be about 350MB in size
- FullFlux - release expected September 2007
- A huge selection of apps in a whopping 700MB full live CD
- NanoFlux - release expected October 2007
- A miniscule distribution stripped down to Fluxbox and Synaptic. Add your own apps to build your perfect system!
- RescueFlux - release expected November 2007
- A small ISO containing all the apps you might need to prepare for, or rescue an installation.