Slow-Cooker Sloppy Joe Lasagna
1 pound ground beef
1/2 large white onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (6 ounce) can organic tomato paste
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 pinch of salt and pepper
6 to 8 wide and flat no-boil lasagna noodles
2 2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large sauté pan, brown the beef over medium-high. If using a high-fat beef, drain. Remove meat from skillet; set meat aside and return pan to the stove.
2. Back in the pan, add the onions and carrots. Sauté for five minutes, until they start to soften. Add the peppers and garlic. Sauté another 2 to 3 minutes, taking care to not burn the garlic.
3. Add the tomato paste, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine. Add the beef and tomatoes to the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Taste it and season with salt and pepper if needed.
4. In a slow cooker, spoon a little of the beef mixture on the bottom. Lay a couple of lasagna noodles on top of the beef, breaking them to fit the pan. Layer with beef mixture, more noodles, more beef, more noodles and the remaining beef. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
5. Cook at medium for 3 to 4 hours, until the noodles are cooked and cheese is melted.