Fettuccine with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (1 1/2 ounces)
2 medium green onions, chopped (2 tablespoons)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 TBSP dry red wine or chicken broth
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1. Mix tomatoes and broth; let stand 30 minutes.
2. Cook and drain fettuccine as directed on package.
3. While fettuccine is cooking, cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in wine in 10- inch nonstick skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender. Remove mixture from skillet; set aside.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until brown. Add tomato mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
5. Mix milk, cornstarch and basil; stir into tomato mixture in skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir l minute. Stir in mushroom mixture; cook until hot. Serve over chicken and fettuccine.
Prepare this recipe using spinach fettuccine in place of the regular fettuccine for a pretty presentation.
Cut tomatoes with kitchen scissors before re-hydrating in broth.