Cheesy Ground Beef Manicotti
14 uncooked manicotti shells
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jar (26 to 30 oz) tomato pasta sauce (any variety)
2 boxes (9 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 can (8 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook and drain manicotti as directed on package using minimum cooking time
(cooking for the minimum time helps prevent the shells from tearing while
2. Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium
heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in
3. Heat oven to 350F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
4. Squeeze thawed spinach to drain; spread on paper towels and pat dry. In
medium bowl, mix spinach, cottage cheese, mushrooms, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese,
the nutmeg and pepper.
5. In baking dish, spread 1 cup of the beef mixture. Fill manicotti shells
with spinach mixture. Place shells on beef mixture in dish. Pour remaining beef
mixture evenly over shells, covering shells completely. Sprinkle with mozzarella
cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
6. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or
until hot and bubbly.