Ground Beef and Sausage Manicotti
1 (8-ounce) package uncooked manicotti shells
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
1/2 pound ground round
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic,
and oregano, drained
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse in cold water. Drain. Place in a single layer on a wire rack; set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage, and discard. Cook sausage, ground round, and onion in a large skillet, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Add whipping cream and the next three ingredients; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Combine meat mixture, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. Spoon mixture evenly into 12 manicotti shells; arrange shells in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350º F for 20 minutes. Uncover and pour cream mixture evenly over shells; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350º F for 10 more minutes. Broil, 5 1/2 inches from heat, for two to three minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.