About The Game
RUNNING WITH RIFLES is a top-down tactical shooter with open-world RPG elements.
In RWR, you join the ranks of an army as a common soldier, just like the thousands around you. To your superiors, you're nothing but cannon fodder.
The open world approach lets you define your own path and story in the campaign. Push back the enemy with your comrades, or go deep behind enemy lines to sabotage their efforts and loot valuable items.
As you gain experience, you are promoted to a higher command level over soldiers and equipment. Call in artillery fire missions or paratrooper reinforcements when the situation gets tight! Use your squad to man armed boats, tanks and APC's, or become the expert lone wolf you always aspired to be. It's up to you!
What is RUNNING WITH RIFLES?
Pick up your rifle and join the Greenbelts, Graycollars or Brownpants in their mission to send the enemy home in a box! RWR is an open world, top-down, tactical shooter for single player and multiplayer online, that puts you right in the middle of chaos in towns, trenches and forests turned into ruthless battlefields, controlling just one soldier in an army of several hundreds.
In a war where men die like flies and endless streams of reinforcements run to fill the void, it takes tactics and marksmanship to capture territories effectively. The open world nature of the game enables you to use a multitude of approaches to help the front line move – it's up to you to shape your role. Experience the complete arc, starting as a private hardening into a high ranking officer with a squad under command, arming yourself with a variety of weapons and vehicles on your way to glory!
Key features, so far
- 8x 1 km2 maps with total of 62 bases
- Hundreds of simultaneous AI soldiers
- Open world: it's up to you how you play, the war goes on without you
- Not your usual “I'm the hero” shooter game: one bullet kills more often than not
- Use cover, crouch and prone, move with others to increase your odds to stay alive
- Emergent AI that tries hard: they too use cover and rooftops, attempt outflanking
- Gain XP to get promotions to lead your own squad, unlock items & calls
- A broad variety of faction specific weapons
- Grenades, bazookas, remote detonable sticky C4, riot shields, medikits, vests, rare weapons
- Mortar strikes, paratrooper reinforcements, vehicle drops
- Jeeps, transport trucks, APC's, boats, tanks, patrol ships with AI driving
- Deploy cover elements to strengthen your fellows' positions or use vehicles for mobile cover
- Campaign and quick matches, with Map Capture or King of the Hill game modes
- Locate & destroy the radio truck/tower behind enemy lines, or steal their cargo truck and deliver it home
- Windows and Linux supported
- 24/7 servers in Europe and USA supporting 30+ players
Much, much more to come.
Fully updated PCLinuxOS and Steam
Processor: 1.6 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia Geforce 6800, ATI x800, Intel HD3000 or equivalent with 256MB
VRAM - please note that the game is not playable with ATI/AMD proprietary drivers!
Hard Drive: 400 MB available space
Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Some Gameplay Screenshots
Getting It To Run
Install Steam (if you don't have it installed already), then start it. You will need to create a new account, if you do not already have one. Once you have Steam up and running, go to the store tab. Click on the Linux tab, if you wish, and search for Running With Rifles. Click on and download the demo. If you have updated your system, including graphics drivers, you should be good to go. If you ever wanted a top down view, this just might be it. This is a very fun game.