Beef and Scalloped Potatoes Casserole
Beef and Potatoes
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup diced yellow onions
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
3 1/2 cups water
2 boxes (4.7 oz each) scalloped potatoes
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon (6 slices)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
Sour cream, if desired
1. Spray 4 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onions over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Return beef mixture to skillet, and place over low heat; stir in cream cheese. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts.
3. In a slow cooker, mix water and sauce mixes (from scalloped potato boxes), then stir in potatoes (from scalloped potato boxes). Spread beef mixture over potatoes.
4. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender and liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir mixture. Top with Cheddar cheese; cover, and cook on Low heat setting 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with bacon and green onions. Serve with sour cream.
To test potato tenderness without releasing too much heat from the slow cooker, slightly lift the lid, and slide a bamboo skewer into the center of the mixture. Potatoes should be very tender.
To ensure even cooking of potatoes, make sure to fully cover potatoes with beef mixture.
Calories: 274 Carbs: 20.4g Fiber: 1.0g Sodium: 588.4mg Protein: 23.5g